7777 Forest Lane
Building B, Suite B-145
Dallas, TX 75230
Request a Consultation
It all Starts here
Keys to Excellent Liposuction Outcomes
Posted by Laurence Weider on March 31, 2014
A recent article published in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery-Global Open outlined the key principles that should be followed in order to achieve excellent results in liposuction on a consistent basis with a low risk of complications. The five principles of successful liposuction include:
- Preoperative Evaluation and Planning: Patients should be in good health and should make a long-term commitment to a healthy diet and regular exercise. In addition, good communication between the surgeon and patient and discussion of realistic expectations should take place during the consultation.
- Intraoperative Monitoring and Safety: Most liposuction procedures are performed under general anesthesia with close monitoring by the anesthetist. Some very limited procedures can be performed safely under local anesthesia
- Wetting Solutions: Sometimes called tumescent solutions or “wetting solutions,” these fluids are infiltrated in the areas to be liposuctioned before the areas are treated. This greatly minimizes blood loss and allows for more uniform and even fat removal.
- Body Contouring and Prevention of Complications: Technical details are discussed in the article that help the surgeon achieve excellent results. One example is the use of immediate fat grafting to prevent contour irregularities.
- Postoperative Care: Patients are encouraged to wear compression garments for the first two weeks after surgery. For the following three weeks, they should be worn at night.
The author also highlights the importance of “educating patients on postoperative lifestyle changes, including continued exercise and healthy eating, which are tenets of successful liposuction treatment.” The next two blogs will discuss key principles of diet and exercise to promote and maintain excellent results after liposuction. If you are considering liposuction or body contouring surgery, please contact Weider Plastic Surgery at (972) 566-8444 to arrange a consultation.
Dr. Weider, a native of Southern California, is a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon who has maintained a private practice in Dallas, TX since 1999. After attending Stanford University, he obtained his medical degree (M.D.) from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. He then completed a one year surgical internship in Los Angeles at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, followed by a four year general surgery residency in Dallas at Methodist Medical Center, and a two year plastic surgery fellowship in Cleveland at Case Western Reserve University.