With the increasing number of people affected by obesity who have had bariatric surgery (lap band or gastric bypass), body contouring following massive weight loss has become part of the mainstream in plastic surgery. Dr. Weider has gained extensive expertise in the area of body contouring for massive weight loss patients including:
- Removing excess fat that did not respond to bariatric surgery or traditional means of weight loss
- Trimming excess redundant skin that may be overhanging in different areas of the body
- Tightening underlying tissue to create a pleasing appearance
- Obtaining results that allow for enjoyment in social, physical and intimate activities that would otherwise be avoided
- Helping patients to improve self-image and confidence
Dr. Weider performs plastic surgery to provide an improved body contour after massive weight loss. During your consultation with Dr. Weider, you will learn if you are a good candidate for the procedure, costs for body contouring surgery and guidelines to reduce the risk of complications. You will also learn about the techniques involved in the procedure including:
- Upper Arm Lift (brachioplasty) for arms with sagging loose skin
- Breast Augmentation for breasts that have lost volume
- Breast Lift for breasts lying flat against the chest, often with nipples pointing down
- Tummy Tuck (abdominoplasty) for an overhanging lower abdomen (pannus) that may extend below the waist on all body sides
- Buttocks Lift to lift a sagging buttocks
- Body Lift for excessive rolls on the back and sides
- Thigh Lift for loose sagging skin of the inner and outer thighs
The time required for body contouring after massive weight loss depends upon the extent of the procedure. In some cases, two or more surgical sessions may be required over time to achieve the most natural appearance. During body contouring, Dr. Weider will use general anesthesia to conduct the procedure. Liposuction may be performed to remove excess fat deposits. Then, excision will be performed to remove excess skin and tissue. The underlying tissues will be tightened as well. Dr. Weider also performs male breast reduction surgery to restore a more natural, well-proportioned appearance to the chest after weight loss. Dr. Weider may treat one or more areas as follows:
- Body Lift: Essentially, a tummy tuck that extends all the way around the torso is performed. This is accomplished through an incision extending around the sides to the back. In addition, lifting and tightening of the sagging abdomen, hips, thighs and buttocks may be performed.
- Breast Lift (Mastopexy): A breast lift may be performed to remove excess breast skin raising the breast and repositioning nipples that point downward. The extent of the incision and scarring depends upon the degree of lift required. Sometimes, breast implants are placed simultaneously to enhance breast shape and size. Further information on Breast Lifts is available here and Breast Augmentation here.
- Arm Lift (Brachioplasty): Sagging loose skin and contour irregularities of the upper arm may be corrected with an arm lift. This procedure is performed through an incision made from the area under the arm to the elbow. The procedure works best in those patients who have significant excess loose skin on the arms with very minimal excess fat.
- Thigh Lift: An outer thigh lift is usually performed as part of the body lift. Dr. Weider performs two types of thigh lifts. If excess skin is limited to the upper part of the thigh, then a limited incision upper thigh lift may be the best choice. If, however, your skin excess extends down towards the knee, then you will likely obtain the best result from an inner thigh lift that extends from the groin down to the knee.
Dr. Weider will meticulously close all incisions using absorbable sutures. Finally, a large dressing and/or compression garment may be placed around the treatment area to aid in healing.
AFTERCARE FOR SURGERY FOLLOWING MASSIVE WEIGHT LOSS
You may spend the first night following surgery in our overnight stay center attended by a registered nurse. Both our fully accredited surgical facility and the overnight care center are located in our office on the campus of Medical City Hospital in Dallas, TX. You will be provided with guidelines for activity restrictions and discomfort management, including medications to ease discomfort. You may experience swelling, bruising, bleeding and numbness following surgery which subside with the aid of the compression garment.
Complications are rare, but may occur in some post bariatric patients. Complications may include: excessive bleeding, numbness, blood clots, respiratory distress, adverse anesthesia reaction, and poor healing. Scars will lighten over time. However, it is important to remember that not all scars may be in discreet locations, depending upon the extent of surgery.
Most people return to work within two weeks following the procedure. The results are immediate, continue to improve over time and last for many years. Of course, the longevity of the procedure may be affected by weight changes, aging or pregnancy.
Contact Weider Plastic Surgery Today
Dr. Weider is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has a wealth of experience performing all aspects of cosmetic surgery. During your consultation, he will answer all of your questions and formulate an individualized plan to help you achieve your cosmetic goals. At Weider Plastic Surgery we are dedicated to ensuring that every patient’s visit to our office is a comfortable, educational and pleasurable one. Please call Weider Plastic Surgery today at 972.566.8444 or email us to learn more about these procedures and to set up your personal consultation with Dr. Weider.